Information Technology PolicyMay 30, 2023 2023-06-01 17:07
Information Technology Policy
Laptops are intended for use at school each day. Students are responsible for bringing their charged laptops to all classes. Only charge your laptop with the provided charger.
An E-mail accounts is provided to each student for educational purposes only. The only email account that students are allowed to access while using a school-issued laptop is one that has been assigned by Holden Park Schools. Please note that emails sent on school-issued devices are not private and may be reviewed at any time and without notice. The following rules will apply when using an email account:
- Always use appropriate language.
- Do not transmit language/material that is profane, sexual, obscene, abusive, or offensive to others.
- Do not send mass emails, chain letters, or spam. Students should maintain high integrity with regard to email content.
- Use of “chat rooms” or conferencing applications may not be utilized during class without permission.
While at school, each student will have access to a storage account on the school’s file server. This folder is not available from outside of our building’s network. Laptop computers and the space dedicated on the server for each student is quite limited. Students will not be able to store libraries of music or photos on their laptops nor on the server due to this space limitation. Even with these restrictions, assignments, research papers, and general word processing types of documents do not require large file sizes allowing for plenty of space for saving these types of documents. Additional storage on the server may be granted for assignments with permission from the administration.
Only school-appropriate backgrounds and screen savers may be used on the laptops.
- Students must have personal earbuds/headphones to listen to audio.
- Sound must be muted unless permission is granted by the teacher for instructional purposes.
- I will use school computers and electronic devices for schoolwork and homework only. I understand that I may not use the school network to download items such as films, YouTube clips, music, or any form of computer games without the express permission of a member of staff.
- I will not commit any form of online sexual, verbal abuse, cyber bullying and any other form of bullying/inappropriate. I accept that this behaviour online will be handled as though it occurred in the physical and there would be severe consequences. (see:https://dsvrtlagos.org/). Not exempting legal actions.
- I will behave sensibly and use the computer rooms with respect. I will use IT appropriately, upholding the values and human rights of all citizens; any form of cyber-bullying, for example, will be viewed in a most serious light. In addition, no student may photograph or film any activity at school or on school camps or excursions without permission from a member of staff.
- I will only access authorised internet sites as prescribed by the school, such as educational games. Sites banned by the school or deemed inappropriate will not be accessed.
- I will not access any chargeable internet services, nor buy, or offer for sale, any item over the internet, intranet or by email.
- I will keep secret my own User Personal ID and Password and I will not login to the network with anyone else’s User ID and Password.
- I will respect the property of others, including school IT property such as networks, hardware, software or other users’ files and data.
- I will not provide my personal details (address, photography, phone number, bank account details) through the internet, intranet or by email.
- I will refrain from opening any email attachment until I know and trust the sender.
- I will only connect personal equipment, such as laptops, tablets, and phones to the school network once I have been granted written permission from the Head of School.
- I will only create files in my own user area, and I will not encrypt, or password protect them.
- I will not take food and drink into the computer rooms.
- I will report faulty or broken equipment to a member of the IT team.
- I will request permission to use resources.
- I will respect the intellectual property of other members of the school community.
- I will suitably cite all sources which I research such as websites, books, magazines, journals, interviews, and other media.
- I will purchase, license, and register all software.
- I will only access, create, download, copy, print and distribute material that is appropriate and respectful to all members of the school community.
- I will be responsible for the content of all emails which I create or send, as well as the content of all files in my possession or in my user area.
- I will ensure that materials written, sent, or received through Holden Park School’s computer system will be in line with this policy and with copyright law.
- Holden Park Schools reserves the right to monitor the use of the internet, to examine systems and review data stored on systems. This will be conducted by authorised staff.
- Students and staff must always ensure that information sent over or uploaded to the internet is accurate, appropriate, ethical, and legal.
- Students and staff who use the internet without authorisation –or who provide access to unauthorised people –may have disciplinary action taken against them.
- Students and staff may not knowingly introduce any form of computer virus, Trojan, spyware, or other malware.